A conversation with hosts, Brie Stockwell and Len Metcalf, unpacking & exploring creativity through the art of photography and other creative passions.
In this chat about "Creative Flow" we discuss:
- What is the FLOW state and why we want to be in it
- How to recognize when we've experienced creative flow
- Tips for how we can attain it more often
- Our experiences with Creative Flow
Mentioned in this episode:
- How to pronounce Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Art of Georgia O'Keeffe
- "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- "Flow, the Secret to Happiness" TedTalk by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- 7 Conditions of Flow:
- Intense focus. The person is deeply involved in whatever they're doing.
- An alternative reality. They feel as if they're outside of the everyday, dull routine of daily reality.
- Inner clarity. They know what needs to be done in order to progress and achieve their goal.
- Skill/Challenge ratio. They know that they're just skilled enough to complete the challenge.
- A sense of serenity. They are not thinking about their everyday problems and fears.
- Timelessness. They are less aware of time. Hours can pass by in what seems like minutes.
- Intrinsic motivation. The activity feels rewarding in itself. There's no external motivator they are thinking about.
- Experience Fluctuation Model
Thank you for listening and helping us celebrate creativity! Please don't hesitate to engage us in conversation by connecting with us on Instagram or send us an email at email@example.com. Subscribe to our newletter here for updates and clubhouse conversation notifications.
Len Metcalf: Subscribe to Len's Journal or check out his beautiful online gallery or workshop offerings. Instagram: @lens_journal_magazine or @lenmetcalf
Brie Stockwell: Join Dream it, Do it! a 10 week program to create and jumpstart the creative goal of your dreams! Subscribe to her newsletter or schedule a discovery call here: https://creativemindscoach.com. Instagram: @creativemindscoach or @asliceofbrie2020
Episode image by Brie Stockwell.
Original Music composed and performed by Brian Free.
Logo created by Tricia Ulberg at Tricia Elizabeth Design.